HOUSE AND ESTATE

RESTORATION OF THE HOUSE

Servants' Passage

The Servants' Passage was added to the house in 1655 to allow staff to pass between the north and south ranges of the house without using the Great Hall. During the restoration, a seventeenth-century door surround was moved to another doorway (as shown on the previous page) to reveal the eighteenth-century archway leading to the passage.

^ Top

< Back | Next >

Replastering in the Servants' Passage

Replastering in the Servants' Passage as part of the restoration

Enlarge image >

Replastering in the Servants' Passage

Work on t he original entrance to the Servants' Passage

Enlarge image >

The entrance to the Servants' Passage as it is now, with the eighteenth-century arch revealed

The entrance to the Servants' Passage as it is now, with the eighteenth-century arch revealed

Enlarge image >